Important Features for a DJ laptop stand
Laptop DJs normally give importance to new blazing fast computers, latest DJ software and innovative new MIDI controllers. But most of them ignore the pivotal gear required for a laptop DJ. In a DJ’s setup, DJ laptop stands are critical because they will be holding MIDI controllers and CDJ players.
The needs of each DJ will be different and this must be taken into account while choosing the right DJ laptop stand. Some of the most important things that you should consider while deciding on the DJ laptop stand are as follows
1. Weight – it is important to know the weight of the DJ laptop stand which will give you an idea about the weight that will add to your bag. This is important because of portability requirement.
2. Adjustability – It is essential to know whether the DJ laptop stand can accommodate a range of positions and configurations because this decides on the flexibility of the stand.
3. Set-up – It should be possible to setup and configure this DJ laptop stand easily by the DJ without any external help. Is the stand easy to set up and configure?
4. Stability – The DJ laptop stand must be sturdy enough so that the vibrations caused by button mashing and also the vibrations due to music.
DJ stands compared
In this article the DJ laptop stands that are specifically meant for DJs manufactured by three popular manufacturers are considered. These are as follows.
• Infinitely adjustable DJ laptop stand and the gear can sit at various angles.
• Height is adjustable in a round-about way by creating a “Z” shape and flattening or lifting the stand. Limited height adjustability.
• Can support heavy weight and is steady enough to support a controller such as the VCI-100.
• Adjustment has to be done carefully otherwise the system will be damaged.
• Uses aircraft-grade aluminum for better strength to weight ratio and weighs only 3 lbs.
• Sturdiest and most robust DJ laptop stand but most expensive.
Odyssey L Stand M – Salient features
• L Stand M (Mobile) is portable DJ laptop stand and includes some angle adjustment.
• Minimum set-up height is 12 inches and the maximum is 14.5 inches.
• You can fold and unfold the L Stand M into its working position using the knob system. This is laborious and the setup time is very high. Hence is not a good option for a mobile stand.
• This can be fitted onto a table top by using C clamps and removing the bottom base. This option is good and stable but the setup time is high.
• It weighs 4 pounds, 7 ounce without C clamps and is the heaviest of all stands.
• This DJ laptop stand is not sturdy although it is heavy. It is cheap.
• This is the simplest of the three DJ laptop stands and weighs 2 pounds, 12 ounces.
• This can be setup fast because you just have to only unfold it.
• Height and angle are non-adjustable.
• Zip ties given by the manufacturer to be used to avoid tipping of the stand.
• Your laptop has to be stuck to the DJ laptop stand using Velcro stickers.
• Manufactured using aircraft-grade aluminum and stainless steel but is too wobbly for button-mashing on a controller